1. Do you have a life motto, or vision statement? Would you be willing to share it with your small group?
2. Review the following passages of Scripture. Discuss each one as a possible life motto. Philippians 1:21, Philippians 4:13, Matthew 6:33, Colossians 3:2, Colossians 3:17. Can you think of other passages that might serve as life mottos?
3. In James 3:13-18, James does not condemn planning, but rather prideful planning that ignores God’s will, and our need to submit our lives and plans to him. What are some practical ways we can guard against presumptuous and prideful planning?
4. What does this statement mean to you — “Life is short. We need to savor every day, even the bad ones.”
5. In 3:18 James says that if we know what is right, but don’t do it, we sin. Discuss the impact of this statement on your life and discipleship.